Monuments in the Church

 

The Armyne Monument

The Armyn Monument is a large limestone edifice standing against a blocked up window of the North wall of the Chancel. Erected in 1605 to the memory of Bartholomew Armyn, it has an open table base supported on short square pillars carved with numerous trophies of war and all round the edge are 24 small shields carved with the coats of arms of the family’s connections. Above the table are two superimposed orders with detached carved and fluted columns supporting rich entablatures, the upper surmounted by two pediments

Six members of the Armyn family are described as having buried under the monument and it is assumed that there is a family vault underneath the Chancel. A further eleven members are recorded as having been buried at Lavington over the centuries.
Nikolaus Pevsner's description reads:"Monument. Armyne family, erected 1605, but looks as if it were of c.1570. Altar table at the foot on short square pillars. Then two bays, two tall tiers of back panels, slender, baluster-like Corinthian columns, with foliage in their lower parts, fluted in the upper. The panels between have inscriptions on the upper tier, shields on the lower. The panels are surrounded by egg and dart. No figures at all."
This has raised interesting questions about the exact history of the monument. It is possible that the lower part of the altar table on square pillars was the original monument to William Armyn (died 1558) and Katherine, and which may have stood alone beneath the (then unblocked) window. This would validate Pevsner's suggested date of c.1570 for the design of this part of the monument.

The upper superstructure dated 1605, was erected by William (the grandson of William and Katherine) to the memory of his father, Bartholomew (died 1598) and also to his own wife, Martha (died 1601). There is a curious disparity in the designs of the two parts of the monument. The six short, square pillars of the base are covered on all sides with detailed, high-relief carvings of the trophies of war - armour, lances, flags, drums, cannon, pikestaff and, swords. In contrast, the upper part has six slender, fluted Corinthian columns with foliage at the base, giving it a completely different appearance.
The depiction on the monument of trophies of war may well refer to the exploits of two members of the Armyn family: William Armyn, who was knighted in 1349 and was "Commander of the Ships at Boston"; and a later Sir William Armyn, who "was in the expedition to Spain with John of Gaunt ...(and) Treasurer of Calais and Guynes .1385".
Research has not yet revealed any names of carvers, but to quote one expert (Dr. John Lord): "The tomb's design is sophisticated, and the cutting well done. However, the use of a local stone suggests a local, but talented sculptor (a fact perhaps confirmed in that the Lenton memorial does not feature in Adam White's study of London tomb makers)."
As Lenton is in the centre of the Ancaster limestone area, and surrounded by many quarries for this wonderful and popular stone, it would have been a natural choice for any sculptor, whether local, travelling, or foreign
.

 

The Richard Quadryng Brass

In 2006 several members of the Parochial Church Council travelled to the Lincoln Archives offices to search for information about St. Peter’s Church or the village of Lavington/Lenton.
The members came across a handwritten note in Volume III of (Lord) Monson’s 1833 Notes on Lincolnshire Churches, on the occasion of his visit to St. Peter’s, Lenton 30 July 1833. It described a brass memorial figure and inscription to a Richard Quadryng, Esq. who died in 1511 and which was inlaid in the the floor of the nave.
This presented a puzzle, as no mention of the brass had appeared in the architect’s specification during the 1879 restoration of the Church, when all the monuments and tablets were removed and then replaced. Neither was it mentioned in subsequent quinquennial reports nor on the Armyne Pedigree as a son-in-law, nor in any other document that had been seen. The brass seemed to have disappeared without trace, and theft or misappropriation was suspected.
In July 2014 a full report, with photograph, appeared on the Monumental Brass Society’s website relating the history of the brass since 1833 and its current whereabouts:
On the western edge of Norfolk lies the small village of Outwell. The parish church, dedicated to St. Clement, houses a treasure-trove of medieval art and history . . . one of the more interesting brasses is of Richard Quadryng, described as an ‘esquire’, who died in 1511. He is shown in armour with a separate foot inscription ,which reads: Here lieth Richard Qwadryng esquire whiche decessed ye xxix day of Septembre the yere of our lord m ccccc xi on whos soule Jhu have mercy Amen.
The brass has been fixed onto the north wall . . . and is a product of the Cambridge workshop. The pauldrons, sabaton and large plated armour over the knees are all distinguishing features of armoured effigies made from the Cambridge school. Yet there is no evidence that the Quadryngs had any association with Outwell, that they were parishioners or had any connection to this part of Norfolk.
The Quadryngs were in fact a Lincolnshire-based family who were almost certainly named after the village of the same name on the silt ridge north of Spalding. By the early 16th century, Quadryngs were resident in Friskney and at Irby-on-Humber. In the church notes made between 1634 and 1642 by Gervase Holles (d.1675), we learn that Richard Quadryng was in fact buried in a village called Lavington-with-Osgodby and Keisby (today known as Lenton). Holles tells us that he saw an effigy and heraldry for Quadring together with an inscription which he copied down: it is almost word for word with the Outwell text.
Richard Quadring’s brass was undisturbed in Lenton for over 300 years. In the account of Lord Monson’s visit to this church of 30th July 1833, he made the following entry:
‘In the nave is a large stone ... where has been a brass inscription and figures, but having been taken out they are now kept by Mr Hardwick the vicar in his house for their better preservation. The figure is in armour, bareheaded, of large size, his hands clasped as if in prayer, a shield of arms was on the stone, but is now entirely lost, the inscription is on old character’.
It is well known that by the early 19th century many brasses were vulnerable to loss and the acquisitive attentions of those with antiquarian interests. The vicar of Lenton was evidently aware of this vulnerability and undertook to safeguard the Quadryng effigy and inscription plate. But how did it end up in Outwell? The answer is straightforward. William Hardwicke, vicar of Lenton from 1824 to 1835, was also rector of Outwell between 1803 and his death in 1838 and he took the Quadryng brass with him when he left Lenton. The rector fell from a footbridge while crossing the Wisbech canal at Outwell and drowned on 25th April 1838. It is perhaps Hardwicke’s sudden death which determined the fate of the brass.
Lenton church underwent a major restoration in 1879-80 by James Fowler who retiled the floor. Shortly beforehand in 1875, Archdeacon Trollope, recorded a Purbeck marble slab ‘enriched with the effigy of a knight, four angel shields, and a legend plate’. He ascribed the memorial to a member of the Armyn family but given what we know of the lost Quadryng brass from Lenton it seems more likely that this was the indent for the brass of Richard Quadryng. Thanks to the well-meaning intentions of William Hardwick, this Lincolnshire brass was ultimately relocated in a Norfolk church.”
(Christian Steer, Monumental Brass society, 2014)
In 2015 two members of the PCC visited Outwell church, following which, at the next PCC Meeting, the possibility of getting back the brass was discussed.
A long administrative process began: a Faculty was required by Outwell Church from Ely Diocese and one for Lenton Church, from Lincoln Diocese, both of which were finally completed in 2017.
On February 22nd 2018 five members from Lenton met several PCC members and the vicar, Revd. Patrick Skillings, at St. Clement’s Church to take possession of the brass. Various commemorative gifts were presented and a Press Photographer from the (King’s) Lynn News recorded the occasion.  

 

 

Wall plaques

 

 

 

 

Situated on the south wall of the Choir, this decorative plaque is dedicated to Jane Chaworth, wife of John Chaworth of Southwell, Nottinghamshire. She died in 1606. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the north wall of the Choir this plaque is dedicated to the Reverand Francis Hetherington, BD, Vicar of Lenton and Rector of Evedon, who died in 1768 aged 64.

 

 

 

 

 

 

This memorial, on the north wall of the Nave, remembers those men of the parish who died in the Great War, 1914-1918.

George Henry Rudkin, Christopher Baxter, William Bothamley, Harold Brumpton, Joseph Thomas Ibbeth, Edward Green, Thomas Henry Collin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the south wall of the Choir, this plaque is dedicated to members of the Armyn family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Located on the outside of the east wall of the Lady Chapel

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the south wall of the South Aisle or Lady Chapel, this plaque is to the memory of Mary Winifred Vessey, organist here for 36 years, who was married to Canon George Vessey, RD.